Saturday, November 28, 2009

Making Room for Christmas

Do you ever feel as if you have more things on your schedule than you have time to do them? Too often I succumb to the pressure to get the most out of my life by cramming my schedule with as much as possible and stretching myself to the limit. I say, yes, to the sporting activities for the children, then I say, yes, to volunteer at the school. And I say, yes, again to coffee dates, play dates, sleepovers, . . .. 


I add, add, add, 


plan, plan, plan, 


schedule, schedule, schedule; 


and then wonder why I’m not really able to enjoy anything. 

This Sunday, Gregg will be talking about creating margin in our lives. Something of which I continually need to be reminded to do because I thrive on being productive.

God created us with limits and when we approach these limits, we squeeze out the margin and run the risk of burning out ourselves and those around us.

God invites us to live differently–to live with margin. Margin is the leftover, the extra, unhurried, unscheduled space. It is in the margin of life, where we are able to experience and truly enjoy life and relationships.

As the Christmas season is upon us, I want resist the temptation to spend it running from activity to activity—rushing around, stressed out. I desire margin. Time to reflect, time to pause, time to value people, time to enjoy and appreciate life. 


Most importantly, to take the time to slow down and consider the precious gift of God’s Son, Jesus, who entered a little, stressed-out, margin-less city of Bethlehem that was just too busy to even notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment