Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Get Up!

Today Jordan, our 6-year-old learned to ride a bike. Before we started practicing, I reminded him that he will fall, but the important thing for him to do was to get up and keep trying.

He did fall . . . a lot. But after each fall, Jordan got up, brushed the dirt off of him and climbed back on his bike. He was determined to ride that bike! It was a huge accomplishment for him and afterwards, Jordan exclaimed, “Now, I’m a big boy!”

Watching Jordan’s determination reminded me that there are times when I will fall, when I will fail. The important thing for me to remember is to get up, to keep trying. Too often in my fear of failing, I avoid the risk altogether. Where’s the joy and satisfaction in that?

I truly think that a large part of our maturity as people is fashioned, and character is developed, when we persevere, endure life’s bumps and scratches, and refuse to stay down when we fall. 

“Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light.” Micah 7:8

3 comments:

  1. Or sometimes when you just do it, you find out that it was really not as hard as you thought it would be. Ayden just learned how to ride his bike as well. I was talking to a neighbor one day and Emry yelled He's riding a bike he's riding a bike! Ayden had got on the neighbor's little, no training wheel, bike and took off. I was amazed and so was he. Sometimes things are just a step of faith and it more natural than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true! Fear can really deceive us at times, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. another great blog! :) keep em coming. :)

    ReplyDelete