Friday, October 8, 2010

Parenting Beyond Your Capacity


Last night, Gregg and I began a small group for parents. We’re reading and discussing a new book called, Parenting Beyond Your Capacity by Reggie Joiner and Carey Nieuwhof. It was a great turnout: 20 adults and 12 children!

I don’t know about you, but I’ve often felt as if the immense job and responsibility of parenthood stretches me beyond my limit. The job requires far beyond my capacity to give.

A couple of months ago, I was painfully reminded of how ill-equipped and incapable I am as a parent and how dependent I am on God and others for help, wisdom and encouragement.

About 6am one morning, Gregg and I were awoken from our sleep by the sound of someone knocking loudly on our front door. Gregg pulled himself out of bed to go to the door to see who was disturbing us so early in the morning. It was our 14-year-old daughter, Rebecca, covered in a blanket, looking disheveled. When Gregg opened the door and Becca announced, “Thanks a lot, you locked me out of the house last night and I had to sleep in the car!” We thought she had gone to sleep, but apparently she had gone outside to look at the stars before heading to bed.

Thankfully, I’m slowly learning and realizing something which we discussed at length last night: God isn’t holding up a perfect picture of a perfect family; He’s writing a bigger story.

I find that very refreshing. God doesn't have this unattainable standard for me. He wants to, and is more that able to use my family just the way we are. Here are just a few of my book notes from last night’s group:
  • It seems like God is more interested in using broken people that He is in creating a better picture.
  • If you were to invite God into your less-than-ideal story and learn to cooperate with whatever He wants to do in your life, the dynamic of your family could radically change.
  • What if our purpose as parents is to illuminate the bigger story, to influence the next generation to experience God in a more genuine way.
  • The family exists, even in its imperfection, to display the heart of God to every generation.
It's not to late to join! Call the church office to register. 

No comments:

Post a Comment