Friday, February 19, 2010

First Impressions: Lessons from Foodland


I just returned from the grocery store. For the last six months, my nearest store has been closed for renovations. I used to avoid going to this Foodland. It was old, outdated and, at best, functional—they didn’t even have a deli, bakery or meat department.

Now they’ve reopened, and it’s beautiful with the best of everything. In fact, the very store that I used to avoid, I willingly go to everyday. They took something that was old, outdated and functional and made it compelling and inviting again.

What can the church learn from my grocery store experience?

I once read that when people visit a church for the first time, they will determine whether or not they will return within their first 7 minutes. That’s before the service even starts! This means their first impressions are formed mostly from their interactions with the people they meet or don’t meet and their experiences (good, bad and ugly) from the parking lot to the meeting area.

It’s not usually the paid staff, but people just like you and me that play an important role in helping someone who may be apprehensive about visiting church, feel welcome. To remove obstacles that can hinder them from experiencing the love of Christ. 

I don’t think it’s the church’s job is to entertain people. However, I do think that we have a responsibility to God to create an environment that is loving and compelling enough to which people will gladly return. To create an environment where people can belong before they believe. 

2 comments:

  1. So true. I'm debating on whether or not to continue going to new church I've been attending for the very same reason. The messages are annointed, but I don't feel any love from the congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I'm so sorry to hear that. Praying that you'll find a church that you can call home! It grieves me when people mention church experiences like the one you're describing because I don't think it accurately represents Christ and his love for people.

    ReplyDelete