Monday, October 5, 2009

Who Ate My Cookies?

For my mom’s birthday, I bought her a box of cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Company. These cookies are so good and they come nicely wrapped in a gift box.

Anyway, until I got around to sending them, I placed them in the refrigerator with a big sign, “Do not open!”

Last night Gregg and I went out for dinner and upon returning home, I noticed the box had been opened and cookies had been eaten! (Sorry, Mom.)

I began my search with the usual suspects . . . the children. After some probing, one child finally came forward and confessed to eating the cookies.

Why do confessions often turn into excuses?

“I ate the cookies, because I didn’t see the sign.” “I didn’t know I wasn’t suppose to eat the cookies.”

We often do the same thing, too. Don’t we?

As Gregg and I discussed this with our child, we mentioned that true confession involves taking responsibility for what you’ve done, not shifting the blame or making excuses for it.

John Ortberg, in his book The Life You’ve Always Wanted, makes a good point saying, “Confession means saying that somewhere in the mix was a choice, and the choice was made by us, and it does not need to be excused, explained, or even understood. The choice needs to be forgiven.”

So Mom, be looking for an opened, slightly eaten gift in the mail that came with an important life lesson for your grandchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment