Monday, June 28, 2010

Fight for Your Family


Little behind on my blogs. A couple of weeks ago, Gregg concluded our Parenthood series with a message entitled Fight for Your Family.

I realize that I’m a little biased, but I think it was one of the most powerful messages he’s given. You can listen to it here.

As a parent, I want God and His love to be real to my children. Yet, there are times when the task is so difficult that the temptation is to give up.  

We spend a lot of time fighting for their health and protection, but how much energy do we truly expend in fighting for their spiritual development?

God’s presence and power needs to be at work in our lives before we can expect our children to experience His presence and power at work in their lives. 

In Nehemiah 4, when the Israelites became discouraged while building the wall around Jerusalem, Nehemiah made a strategic decision.

Therefore I stationed some of the people behind the lowest points of the wall at the exposed places, posting them by families, with their swords, spears and bows. After I looked things over, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” Nehemiah 4:13-14

Nehemiah posted them by families. By doing this, the Israelites were continuously reminded about what they were fighting for. If they became discouraged and gave up, they stood to not only lose a generation, but their very own sons and daughters as well.

Don’t ever give up in the fight for your family. Your children need to know that they’re worth fighting for.

1 comment:

  1. Kris Brenes, don't you ever stop writing!! I know you won't cuz it's your passion but you're great at it. Thanks for the inspiration, as always.

    ReplyDelete