Thursday, September 16, 2010

Watch Out for that Tree!


I have fond childhood memories of watching the cartoon, George of the Jungle. I can even remember the opening song, George, George, George of the jungle, strong as he can be. George! Watch out for that tree!

Just picked up Justin from the Health Room at school. Apparently, during recess he ran full speed into a tree. Thankfully, he’s all right. He has a nice red bump on the right side of his face and a small headache.

I couldn’t help but ask him, “How did you manage to run into a tree?” It’s not like they’re very hard to miss, right? Justin’s response, “I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

Justin’s response made me consider the series Gregg has been doing at church over the last several weeks, How to Wreck Your Life. No one sets out with determination to wreck their life and yet, it happens. We make little choices and take small steps in the wrong direction. Gradually, over time we find ourselves crashing head first into a tree.

The prophet Haggai strongly warned the Jewish people as he saw their lives and priorities straying from God and the purpose for which He created them. Haggai said, “Give careful thought to your ways.” Haggai 1:5,7) 

In my own words, “Watch out for that tree!”

No comments:

Post a Comment